Re: X Config and Knoppix

Adam Spencer wrote:

Secondly, Knoppix is a branch of Debian right? X config is a nightmare with Debian (I have spent many hours swearing at it) but Knoppix just gets on with it and you can tweak later. Is it possible to do this on an established Debian installation? If not why not?

Knoppix is my preferred way of configuring X, certainly for Woody.

It should not be hard for you to remaster Knoppix so as to use it to install Linux to your computers: boot Knoppix, unload an install image onto the HDD, copy the knoppix-generated config files.

You might also take a look at www.progeny.com's Progeny Componentized Linux.

It uses Red Hat's installer, Anaconda, to install what is basically a customised Debian system. It's intended for developers who can take what Progeny offers in order to create their own customised distribution.

You can choose between interactive (CUI or GUI)or hands-off installs from network, disk, CD etc.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait