Transferring install to another HD

Hi there, I just want to double check I'm going to be doing this right, or am at least on the right track.

I've finally managed to make myself a kernel that'll boot directly offof my 3ware 9500 RAID card, but I had to make this on a regular PATA drive, since I need to be able to install straight onto a RAID array (sda1-10) and couldn't quite figure out how to roll my own version of d-i. Hence I made all my sda partitions, and am in the process of transferring all the files onto the right place.

I mounted sda2 (root) on /mnt/newdrive, and then made dirs (boot, usr, var, etc etc) an then mapped the corresponding partitions to those to (so sda1 got mounted on /mnt/newdrive/boot and all the rest of it). So far, so hoopy I hope.

Once all the files have done transferring, I'm guessing all I have to do is do a chroot /mnt/newdrive /bin/bash, and then run the LILO thing to get myself a boot block in my MBR.

Am I doing things right, or is my computer about to explode?

Any advice or input would be appreciated, since this is the company file server and I don't really want it down for any longer than it takes to reboot it :)

Thanks in advance!