Re: junk on tty after x crash

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 05:53:10PM +0200, Andrej Hocevar wrote:
> Sorry, obviously I didn't make myself clear: according to my inittab
> settings, the first available tty for X is tty11. If for some reason X
> cannot shut down properly, tty11 is left with some useless character(s)

Then you must have additional logins past tty6, since I have only ever known
X11 to attach to tty7, unless I change it.

> which obviously forces X to attach itself to another tty (in my case
> tty13) when I start it again next time.
>
> If I issue "deallocvt 11", it says that the device is busy.
>
> What can I do to clean that messy tty11 and make it usable again?

What does "lsof /dev/tty11" say about any processes still using the tty? You
can remove the characters by way of:

setterm -reset > /dev/tty11

But this won't help it freeing up whatever is keeping it tied, hence lsof in
this case.

-- Thomas Adam
--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?