Re: junk on tty after x crash

Thomas Adam wrote:
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:12:52AM +0200, Andrej Hocevar wrote:

Hello,
this is very disturbing -- when my X server doesn't shut down smoothly,
it leaves some junk behind on the tty it was running on. The result is
that next time I startx, it doesn't use the same tty anymore.
What can I do to get rid of this annoying problem?

I'm not sure what the problem is here. If you mean you want to surpress the
output that startx produces, do:

startx > /dev/null 2>&1

If you'd rather keep it for later:

startx > ~/.startx-output.log 2>&1

Or am I not understanding your problem?

-- Thomas Adam

No, he means that junk is left behind on tty7 so that the next time he starts X, X uses tty8. It happens to me occasionally, but not consistently. I've always attributed it to the fact that the nvidia drivers are crap, shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Don't really know though.