Re: junk on tty after x crash

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 05:53:10PM +0200, Andrej Hocevar wrote:
> Sorry, obviously I didn't make myself clear: according to my inittab
> settings, the first available tty for X is tty11. If for some reason X
> cannot shut down properly, tty11 is left with some useless character(s)
> which obviously forces X to attach itself to another tty (in my case
> tty13) when I start it again next time.
>
> If I issue "deallocvt 11", it says that the device is busy.
>
> What can I do to clean that messy tty11 and make it usable again?

I would suggest (after X bombs) running:

~ %% sudo lsof /dev/tty11
Password:
COMMAND PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
getty   243 root    0u   CHR   4,11       990 /dev/tty11
getty   243 root    1u   CHR   4,11       990 /dev/tty11
getty   243 root    2u   CHR   4,11       990 /dev/tty11

(no, I'm NOT telling you what I typed there...)