Re: Debian equivalent of /etc/profile.d

Jeremy Brown wrote:

I respect the established Debian policy...but I do disagree. I think it is possible to build an environment-variable-setting system that works with multiple shells, like the one currently in Slackware.

OK, I eat my words. After about 5 hours of thinking about this off and on, I guess there are plenty of situations where an executable might be fired off by something other than a login shell or the distant child of a login shell. The way that RedHat and Slackware do this is definitely not very robust.

SuSE does it too. Presumably they all think it works fairly well.

Mostly, stuff is run by a login shell or a child of one. Exceptions that come to mind:
X stuff (mostly)
/etc/init.d stuff
su stuff (sometimes)
crontab stuff
sudo stuff seems a bit odd, but then I've never played with it until today/

X stuff exceptions are xterms and imitations which can be configured to run login shells.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait