Re: Debian equivalent of /etc/profile.d

Jeremy Brown wrote:

I respect the established Debian policy...but I do disagree. I think it is possible to build an environment-variable-setting system that works with multiple shells, like the one currently in Slackware.

OK, I eat my words. After about 5 hours of thinking about this off and on, I guess there are plenty of situations where an executable might be fired off by something other than a login shell or the distant child of a login shell. The way that RedHat and Slackware do this is definitely not very robust.

Having said that...

Is there any place I can add systemwide environment variables that all applications will honor? I heard mention of "/etc/environment"...is there anything like "/etc/environment.d"?

I really still think there is a good argument for modularizing some system-wide environment variables, like CLASSPATH. As Java system libraries are added via apt, you would want CLASSPATH to be updated.

--j