Re: don't remove kernel 2.4 or bye-bye ppp, alsa

Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> writes:

> I will consider upgrading the kernel but it may take a while on dialup!

I feel your pain, since I'm in your situation.  What I do is I
downloaded the mainline kernel once and kernel-package package.  From
there on, I only download the patch for the new version, which is
usually about 3-4 Mb.  I then download the debian specific patches,
which for kernel 2.6.7 was 243970 bytes.  I then just copy config from
/boot, run make-kpkg, and have a brand new kernel.  And I only had to
download around 4 Mb worth of files instead of the 15 Mb I would have
had to download if I installed a kernel image package.

--
John L. Fjellstad