Re: Mount Netware crazyness

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 08:32:07AM -0700, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to mount a netware file system on my woody box.
> I have the ncpfs package installed.
>
> Here's the catch:
> I actually want to pull the drive out of the netware box, and
> slap into my woody box. Then just mount it directly somewhere on
> the system.
> Something like this:
>
> # mount -t ncpfs /dev/sda1 /mnt

ncpfs is a network file system - it will not work at all like this.  I
don't think the linux kernel can read netware filesystems (nss) at all.
That's like taking a drive out of a windows machine and trying to
mount it as smbfs, or taking a solaris formatted frive and trying to
mount it as nfs ...

On the other hand if the filesystem is nwfs and not nss, there is
something called fenris that lets you mount them ... google around for
it.

I think your only option here is to mount it on a netware machine and
share it over the network ...

> I wonder if the above command requires username and password?
> Anyone try this? You think it will work?
> Why am I doing this?
> Well I have to transfer over about 80 Gigs worth of data and don't
> want to re-fire up the novell box, and then use a network copy transfer.
> May take too long. It would be nice if I can just pull the drive out and
> place into my Debian box.

the best I think you can do is over the network here.

--