Re: Mouse works with X but breaks as a left-handed... [SOLVED]

Kent West wrote:
> gpm is the console mouse driver (for using your mouse outside of X). I
> _think_ kernel 2.6 may have moved the mouse input device to
> /dev/input/mice, which is smart enough to share the device between
> multiple mice/mice-driven apps. But before that, if you had gpm and X
> both installed, the two drivers would fight over the incoming mouse data
> ("mine mine, mine"), so you had to specifically set up gpm to be the
> reader of /dev/psaux (or whatever device your mouse was on), then to
> repeat it to a special device named /dev/gpmdata, and then configure X
> to read from that device rather than the actual device. In this way,
> both the console mouse driver and the X mouse driver could play nice
> together.

Thanks for the suggestions, Kent.  I've solved the problem, although i'm
not sure which step did it.  I did 3 things:

- Reinstalled sarge (and finally got RAID 1 on root/boot working! Yay!)

- Changed the gpm configuration to left-handed (by setting append="-B
321" in /etc/gpm.conf).

- Configured X to use /dev/input/mice instead of /dev/psaux.

I'm guessing the last of these is the most likely cause, but i don't
know.  Any comments?
--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>