Re: Mouse works with X but breaks as a left-handed...

Paul Gear wrote:

Kent West wrote:
I have exactly the same problem.  The left-handed configuration works
with Red Hat 9, SuSE 9.1, and Morphix 0.4.1, but not Debian sarge.  Any
ideas gratefully accepted.
Still, the first thing that came into my mind is that if you are using
gpm (the non-X mouse driver), you may be configuring the X driver for
left-handedness but neglecting to do so for gpm.
No, this happens immediately within the GNOME session.  I'm used to GDM
not doing the right thing.

Not meaning to be offensive, but you do realize I didn't mention gdm?
Just want to make sure you understood I was talking about gpm.

Sorry, too late at night.  I'm a morning person.  :-)

So what you're saying is that X is now dependent upon the gPm
configuration somehow?  Now that is strange.  Why is this so?

gpm is the console mouse driver (for using your mouse outside of X). I _think_ kernel 2.6 may have moved the mouse input device to /dev/input/mice, which is smart enough to share the device between multiple mice/mice-driven apps. But before that, if you had gpm and X both installed, the two drivers would fight over the incoming mouse data ("mine mine, mine"), so you had to specifically set up gpm to be the reader of /dev/psaux (or whatever device your mouse was on), then to repeat it to a special device named /dev/gpmdata, and then configure X to read from that device rather than the actual device. In this way, both the console mouse driver and the X mouse driver could play nice together.

If you are running gpm ("ps ax | grep gpm"), and you've reconfigured your mouse in X but not gpm, that could be the culprit. Probably not, but like I said, it was "the first thing that came into my mind".

--
Kent