Re: System & Hardware clocks

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 08:50:28PM +0200, Lourens Steenkamp wrote:
> Lourens replying to P V Mathew <pvmathew@softhome.net> wrote:
> Try chrony.
>
> "It consists of a pair of programs :
>  `chronyd'.  This is a daemon which runs in background on the system.
> It obtains measurements (e.g. via the network) of the system's offset
> relative to other systems, and adjusts the system time accordingly.  For
> isolated systems, the user can periodically enter the correct time by
> hand(using `chronyc').  In either case, `chronyd' determines the rate at
> which the computer gains or loses time, and compensates for this.
> Chronyd implements the NTP protocol and can act as either a client or a
> server.`chronyc'.  This is a command-line driven control and monitoring
> program. An administrator can use this to fine-tune various parameters
> within the daemon, add or delete servers etc whilst the daemon is
> running."

I have tried chrony and found it very difficult to understand the
documentation and to work with.  The standard installation from Debian
did not help at all to keep my computer's clock on time.

It was more than a year ago but I remember trying to run chronyc
resulted in some problem with authentication even when I try to run it
as root and I could never figure out how to use it.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the
      Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to
      the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before
      him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and
      a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages,
      should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting
      dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom
      that which shall not be destroyed."
                                    Daniel 7:13,14