Re: System & Hardware clocks

Incoming from Johann Spies:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 08:50:28PM +0200, Lourens Steenkamp wrote:
> > Lourens replying to P V Mathew <pvmathew@softhome.net> wrote:
> > Try chrony.
> >
> > "It consists of a pair of programs :
> >  `chronyd'.  This is a daemon which runs in background on the system.
>
> I have tried chrony and found it very difficult to understand the
> documentation and to work with.  The standard installation from Debian
> did not help at all to keep my computer's clock on time.

You should try it again.  I installed it last night and everything
works as advertised.  chrony installation handles all the details
except for interaction across a firewall (hint: "grep ntp
/etc/services"), and the NTP server defined in /etc/chrony/chrony.conf
doesn't appear to be accessible anymore.  googling for ntp servers
produces a couple of lists of stratum-1 and -2 open servers which you
can use instead.

> It was more than a year ago but I remember trying to run chronyc
> resulted in some problem with authentication even when I try to run it
> as root and I could never figure out how to use it.

I had no trouble using it as an unprivileged user.  I haven't needed
to run it as root yet.

- -