Re: System & Hardware clocks

Zachary Rizer wrote:

--- P V Mathew <pvmathew@softhome.net> wrote:

Hello All,

   Why does my hardware clock go slow after every
time  I run Linux?

    Evidently Debian resets the hardware clock to
the system clock
every time it shuts down. How ever the system loads
the time from
the hard ware clock when Debian boots up. If it can
rely on the
hard ware clock at start-up why can't rely on it at
shut down too?

    Also the time maintained by the system should
be more
accurate than the hard ware clock. In my case why is
it not so?
Since I have compiled the kernel, I might have
missed some
important configuration option?

   This problem has developed recently. I regularly
update the sid
version that I am using.

Thanks
p v mathew

In my experience, this can be a rather nebulous
"head-scratcher" of a problem.  After fiddling with it
for a bit on my fiancee's machine, I just installed
ntpdate and was done with it.
~Z

How ever The system I am using has only a dial up connection
to the net. And that connection is used rarely only. In short it
is a stand alone desktop. Also I am a bit curious about the
questions I have raised above.

Thanks
p v mathew