Re: why not anaconda installer

Kent West wrote:
anaconda as installer. It is very easy  for installation !

The general answers given are:

Thank you for an excellent response.

I would like to augment this a bit more with what I had to go through in order to install Debian on my 3 machines.

First: I used the USB Mass Storage device option for the installation simply because it just sounded way too cool.

Second: 2 of my machines are not intended for X windows and really will need all their horsepower to do what they are intended for (database, mail, web). The installation of X windows would have been difficult and would have taken up too much of what little room I have.

Third: I was forced to hit "Enter" a total of 4 times on each machine for each installation. I've never had an installation run that fast or simple with anything else - ever.

I want to commend the Sarge Installer volunteers for their excellent work and truely impressive results. It must be hard having all these people thinking only of x86 architecture requirements and a workstation only application.

But don't give up -- This is really a fine piece of work and very true to the philosophy of Debian.

For those who can't manage to live without a full-up gui installation, even though you might have to only do it once, I suggest you install KNOPPIX and then edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file accordingly. In about 15 minutes you'll have a Debian boxen.