Re: Installing/Updating debian on a machine with no internet access

Lourens replying to Raj Kiran Grandhi <rajkirangrandhi@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  I have recently switched over to Debian/Sarge from Redhat 9.0. This
>  is at my home where my pc has an internet connection. I had
>  downloaded the first few iso images using jigdo, installed from them,
>  then over the past few months, installed/upgraded several packages
>  using apt-get.
>
>  I want to do the same at my office pc which currently runs Redhat
>  9.0. However we do not have internet access at office, so I am
>  uncertain as to the best way to install debian at office. I have at
>  home all the packages apt-get ever downloaded.
>
>  I think there would be some simple solution to this, but could not
>  find any.
>
>  Firstly, is there any way to build a list of packages installed on my
>  machine at home which includes the source from which the package was
>  installed?
>
>  Second, is there a way by which I can add a directory of .deb files
>  to the apt sources.list?

Yes.
Follow the instructions in the APT HOWTO, section "2.2 How to use APT
locally"

Simply:
- as root
    # mkdir /home/debs
- copy your debs into /home/debs/
- in /home
    # touch override  ##creates empty file
    # dpkg-scanpackages debs override | gzip > debs/Packages.gz
- add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb file:/home debs/
-   # apt-get update

Should you later add debs to /home/debs, simply re-run
    # dpkg-scanpackages debs override | gzip > debs/Packages.gz
    # apt-get update

HTH.

*****

Lourens Steenkamp