Re: Installing/Updating debian on a machine with no internet access

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

Hi all,

I have recently switched over to Debian/Sarge from Redhat 9.0. This is
at my home where my pc has an internet connection. I had downloaded
the first few iso images using jigdo, installed from them, then over
the past few months, installed/upgraded several packages using
apt-get.

I want to do the same at my office pc which currently runs Redhat 9.0.
However we do not have internet access at office, so I am uncertain as
to the best way to install debian at office. I have at home all the
packages apt-get ever downloaded.

I think there would be some simple solution to this, but could not find any.

Firstly, is there any way to build a list of packages installed on my
machine at home which includes the source from which the package was
installed?
I think at home
dpkg --get-selections
at work having done basic install
dpkg --set-selections
apt-get dselect-upgrade

Second, is there a way by which I can add a directory of .deb files to
the apt sources.list?

Is mirroring debian-security an option? "man debmirror" for how.

You can make your own archive, see dpkg-scanpackages. If you have _exactly_ the same software home and work, then probably you need the same fixes. CD-RW and USB drives are handy ways to transport stuff. I have a 40 Gb laptop drive in a USB2 enclosure. On a USB2 interface I get 20 Mbytes/sec which seems fairly reasonable for a backup device. Disk fits shirt pocket.

If these two things can be done, I think my problem would be solved.
Has anyone else faced a similar problem? Please let me know.

I guess that if you don't have Internet access at work, security updates aren't that important. Not that you should ignore them, but the need is less pressing than if you were regularly getting stuff from the 'net.

Also, browse www.debian.org - many of your questions are answered there.

--

Cheers
John