Re: apt-get GDM

-d  Download only - do NOT install or unpack archives

besides, even if it dies half way, apt will know how to continue from where is stopped
according to the files in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Best Regards,Amir Tal
Whatsup, Hebrew linux portal.
http://www.whatsup.org.il, tal@whatsup.org.il
icq : 15748705,cell : 001-646-296-3835.

Craig Dunn wrote:

Hi,

I'v recently installed Debian on my system. The current version of GDM that I have is 2.2 and I would like to upgrade it to 2.4. I understand that I can use apt-get to do this. The trouble is I only have a dialup Internet connection, which gets cut off after 2 hours. And I'm guessing that downloading all of the necessary GDM files will take more than 2 hours. So, if I start the download process using apt-get and it gets cut-off halfway through, will I be able to continue the installation process once I reconnect to the Internet? I'm worried that if the installation process stops halfway, my Linux system will be messed up.

Is it possible to tell apt-get to download all of the necessary deb files first and then perform the installation only when it has what it needs?

Thanks for any advice,

Craig

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger