Re: how to connect two PC's with a cross-over ethernet cable?

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:06:27 +0200, Bram Merte
> I have a cross-over ethernet-cable and I would like to be able to
> configure both computers so I can switch between the current setup and
> the necessary configuration to transfer files across the cross-over
> ethernet cable.

I am presuming that you want to use the same interface for this
specific purpose as one which is already employed for some other
purpose currently.

> How do I know which files contain the current configuration?

/etc/network/interfaces contains the network configurations

> How do I configure my laptop to be able to use the cross-over
> connection?

An entry like the following would do

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.3.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0

..but presumably would need to replace an existing entry for your
current use. Switching manually between the two is possible by
commenting out one of them and issuing /etc/init.d/networking restart.
However that is a fairly longwinded approach.

A better solution is to use logical interface names aka interface
aliasing. The details are described in manpage interfaces(5) ; the
mapping 'eth0-home' would probably be what you wanted for transfers,
and 'eth0-work' for normal usage (or whatever you currently have).

Sorry I can't be more precice about the mechanics here because I
haven't used it personally, but I think this is probably the simplest
approach which doesn't involve spending more money.

--
Jon Dowland
dowland@gmail.com