Re: how to connect two PC's with a cross-over ethernet cable?

Bram Mertens <bram-mertens@linux.be> wrote:
> Don't I need a second ethernet card in my desktop when I buy a switch in
> stead of a router?  When I'm going to buy new hardware I would like to
> be able to 'share' my internet connection between the two computers and
> have a permanent LAN.
There are two possible setups:

1.) Buy another ethernetcard and set up the Desktop as Router (NAT),
this is the cheapest soloution (~ EUR 7).

        PPP            +-------+         LAN           +------+
Modem ----------- eth0 |Desktop| eth1 ----------- eth0 |Laptop|
                       +-------+                       +------+

2.) Buy a hub/switch (~ EUR 20+) connect everything to the switch and
2.1) either setup the Desktop as Router like above or
2.2) open seperatly PPP connection from the Desktop and Notebook

Modem ----------- |Switch| ------------ |Desktop|

                  +------+
                  |Laptop|
		  +------+

Of course the second methode is more flexible if more Computers are
likely to be connected in the future.

hth,	Christoph