Re: how to connect two PC's with a cross-over ethernet cable?

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 12:51, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 17:06, Bram Mertens wrote:
>
> > I have a cross-over ethernet-cable and I would like to be able to
> > configure both computers so I can switch between the current setup and
> > the necessary configuration to transfer files across the cross-over
> > ethernet cable.
> >
> > How do I know which files contain the current configuration?
> > How do I configure my laptop to be able to use the cross-over
> > connection?
>
> Plug the cable to both ends. Then configure both machines to use IP
> addresses with the same network mask (255.255.255.252 is already good
> enough). No special voodoo required.

Can I configure both the address and the network mask with etherconf?

But how can I save my current settings so I can quickly restore them?

Did you mean 255.255.255.255 for the network mask? or doesn't that make
a difference?

> > I know that getting a router has many benefits over this setup but I am
> > still considering some alternatives and I would like to set this up
> > until I make up my mind.
>
> A switch is maybe what you might need since you just connect straight
> cables from both machines to the switch. Same principle on configuring
> network devices goes.

Don't I need a second ethernet card in my desktop when I buy a switch in
stead of a router?  When I'm going to buy new hardware I would like to
be able to 'share' my internet connection between the two computers and
have a permanent LAN.

Thanks for your feedback

Bram
--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# SuSE Linux 8.2 (i586)     kernel 2.4.20-4GB      i686     512MB RAM #