Re: Configuring CUPS to allow all users to (re)start printer

On Thursday 19 August 2004 15:04, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> My parents have the problem that the printer sometimes stops itself for
> various reasons. It is easy enough to restart it with the KDE print
> system, just go "Start Printer" (or something like that). The problem
> is, it asks for password, and unfortunately, it will only accept the
> root password. I'm not going to give them root access, (the terrible
> mess they would do with a root password...), but they shouldn't have to
> call me every time the printer stops...
>
> Instead, I'd like to allow all local users to restart the printer if it
> stops, but I haven't find anything concrete in the docs to do that, and
> while I found it easy enough to set the printer up with CUPS, it isn't
> actually very transparent when you need to do something a bit more out
> of the ordinary... :-)
>
> Anybody know how to do this?

Yes; configure the "admin" location in cupsd.conf to allow valid users, then
they will be able to use their user accounts to do that ...

<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic (or Digest)
AuthClass User

... etc
</admin>

Though this opens up a whole new can of worms ...

However, the real problem is why do they have to restart the printer?

--