Re: OT: Questions or Doubts?

William Ballard wrote:

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 08:32:45PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
Kent West wrote:

Is this word "doubt" a non-American-English-speaker's word for "question"? And if so, in that person's language, is "doubt" equivalent to "question", or is it just that they don't understand the use of the word?

Or am I totally off-base, and am missing something?
I did a quick check: firefox has a simple filter on subject/sender, so I typed in "doubt." Found two threads, one where someone was expressing doubts regarding future 2.6 kernels, and this.

Apparently it doesn't happen as often as I thought. I just searched the archives and only found two such threads within the 2004 year:

and here's another from 2003:

I guess it just caught my attention, and therefore I thought it happens more often than it really does.

My pet peeve is "take a decision" vs. "make a decision". Great Britains, Old Europe, New Europe, Asia and the Third World all say "take a decision" when they speak english. We never use that in America.

"Take a decision" is so passive; it implies studying what my options are, holding my nose, and choosing one. "Make a decision" is much more American -- we'll just invent the option we want and then take that one.

Interesting; I'd never noticed that, but yeah, I'm with you; I like the more take-charge flavor of "make".

--
Kent