Re: 2.6.x kernel doubts

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 23:15, John Summerfield wrote:
> John L Fjellstad wrote:
>
> >Leonardo Marques <analyser@linuxclube.com> writes:
> >

> >>	Im thinking in upgrade to new kernel line (2.6.x), im using
> >>	debian stable, i wanna know if have some problem between deb
> >>	stable and 2.6.x kernel line. If exists, can i do something?
> >>

> >You can, but like previously mentioned, kernel 2.6 has som
> >dependencies.  The best way is use the backports.org, and add the
> >kernel-2.6 line to your source.  The kernel-2.6 directory will have both
> >the kernel-source and all the updated packages 2.6 needs.
> >

> Before committing to 2.6 test its performance. I've discovered disk i/o
> on my new mobo is about 33% faster on 2.4.26 than 2.6.7.

John, do not take this badly.

You are doing something incorrectly then.

Exactly what (processor and disk controller) Chipsets are on this new
Motherboard?

Are you properly using udev with 2.6.7? Are you using Discover (1 or
2?)?

Are you using Hotplug?

Are you using both?

There is a method to my madness... bear with me.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux