Re[2]: Home Debian "Mirror"

Hello John,

Friday, August 20, 2004, 6:53:48 AM, you wrote:

>>>And that changes things how?  8:o)  The CDROMs use basically the same
>>>filesystem layout.  Just compare and contrast to a mirror...
>>>

>>Having never used the CDs (I've always net installed) I honestly don't
>>know.  However, your initial response didn't seem to answer the question
>>the poster was asking.
>>
>>I assume that each CD has a Packages listing for the files in it's
>>subset of the archive.  Checking a 3.0r1 CD seems to back this up since
>>the Packages (non-compressed) listing on disk 1 is a mere 811K while the
>>same branch on my local mirror is 6.3M.  So at minimum these Package
>>listings would need to be regenerated.  This is probably what you mean
>>by "compare and contrast to a mirror".  However, I do believe the
>>original poster was looking for a tad more information than that.
>>

JS> A few months ago, there was no documented procedure for creating a local
JS> repository from a set of CDs. You cannot just copy files into place
JS> because, as you note, you only get one tine Packages file.

There's a command 'dpkg-dsanpackages', however I don't remember exact
package that contains it... dpkg-dev I suppose. Create folder
structure on your hdd similar to cd's or ftp's one - f.e.
/mirror/dists/stable/main {non-free, contrib}/binary-i386/ and
/mirror/pool/main {non-free, contrib}/ for woody, assuming /mirror is
the top-level folder for your mirror. Then just copy from all cd's
content of pool folders, run dpkg-scanpackages as root without
parameters - this will give you short help on command, then pick
correct parameters and run command again. As a result you'll get
Packages file for each branch (namely main, non-free, contrib) and
procedure will take quite long time...

--
Best regards,
 Alexander                            mailto:shurali@ua.fm