Re: Home Debian "Mirror"

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 04:37:18PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> writes:

> >> CD's come as-is, ready for apt.
> >
> > I believe he actually wanted to use the CDs to create a central
> > internal repository that he could use for network installs rather
> > than feeding each new machine the necessary CD(s).
>
> And that changes things how?  8:o)  The CDROMs use basically the same
> filesystem layout.  Just compare and contrast to a mirror...

Having never used the CDs (I've always net installed) I honestly don't
know.  However, your initial response didn't seem to answer the question
the poster was asking.

I assume that each CD has a Packages listing for the files in it's
subset of the archive.  Checking a 3.0r1 CD seems to back this up since
the Packages (non-compressed) listing on disk 1 is a mere 811K while the
same branch on my local mirror is 6.3M.  So at minimum these Package
listings would need to be regenerated.  This is probably what you mean
by "compare and contrast to a mirror".  However, I do believe the
original poster was looking for a tad more information than that.

--
Jamin W. Collins

It has always been Debian's philosophy in the past to stick to what
makes sense, regardless of what crack the rest of the universe is
smoking.  -- Andrew Suffield