Re: Quick question: Choice of release

Anders Breindahl wrote:

I and a friend are playing with the idea of convincing our gymnasium to using Debian GNU/Linux as their main server OS. As it comes to this issue, which release we would want; stable, testing or unstable? Making the choice, it would matter that the focus is on reliability. We would want it to be absolutely reliable and secure. No security flaws would be accepted. On the other hand, we wouldn't want it to be outdated, so any performance-fixes are not included. What is the best compromise?
At this time I would go with Sarge. Here are some reasons;
1. It's about to be released as "Stable."
2. "Stable" in Debian mostly means "unchanging." Security fixes are supplied, but you won't get any new technology during its life. The technology in Woody is creaking with age. You will get better hardware support in Sarge, newer and more capable Samba (for Windows file and print sharing) etc. 3. If you install Woody now, sometime soonish you will feel the urge to upgrade, and while upgrading the software is fairly easy, upgrading your data might not be. Service will become unavailable while you attend to databases, email storage, new configuration requirements and so on.
4. Sarge is now supported with security updates.

As for reliability, what uptime requirements do you have? If you're not using a UPS, Sarge will be at least are reliable as your supply of electrons. We're not talking about Windows which you must take down each month for Bill's latest scheduled fixes or inbetween for hotfixes. Mostly, you security updates are done in a minute or so (depends on hardware, of course) and only affect the particular service being updated. If you have to replace your MTA, nobody will notice unless they're trying to send mail at the critical moment, and it wil be back before they get to complain. Of course, task such as those should be done when there are none, or few, users around, but you can easily have your updates downloaded ready.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait