Re: problem installing Sendmail

> What do you mean, "may come back ... again"? I believe sendmail is still
> the most widely used MTA on the Internet. It's never "gone away".

Well, I don't keep track of these things in detail.  I started hacking
"sendmail" in 1984 or something, I forget.  It looked like it worked
OK to me.  Then sometime a few years back I noticed that it had been
replaced with something (smail?) on one of the Sun systems I was
working on.  Since then I've noticed various other "MTAs" proliferating.
Since I primarily view computers as a means to and end and not an end
in themselves, AFAIK "cows come and cows go, but the bull stays around
forever", so I just deal with whatever has landed in my lap at the
moment and try to make it work.

When I installed Debian, somehow I ended up with "exim",
which means it must have installed by default, since I wouldn't have
picked it, because I didn't know what it was.  So, by dint of the
fact that it installed by default, I expect it must be "Mail Transfer
Agent of the Week", or "Current Trendy Mail Transfer Agent", or
whateveritis...

If I really thought "sendmail" was going to ultimately triumph and win
the
"Battle of the Mail Transfer Agents", I would probably have installed
it,
and support is definitely the main issue, since sooner or later whatever
trendy MTA I happen to be using is going to break.  You could be right;
"exim" and "smail" and "flailmail" and "everybodybailmail" and whatever
else
could all lose in the end, and I could end up wasting the time I'm
spending
learning to bludgeon "exim" into compliance.  Wouldn't be the first
time I've followed a vapid software trend to perdition...  won't be the
last...