Re: On downloading Debian ISOs

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 20:59, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Have been wanting to try out Debian for so long, but never managed to
> get my hands on it. Finally I land up at this client site where we have
> a good net access, and so am thinking of downloading the ISOs to give
> them a shot on my home machine.

Hi Rakesh,

Just as a side-note, I hope you didn't download the "Woody" (Debian 3.0)
files. The new release is due out *very* soon, and is a major
improvement over the previous version. Unless you are are intending to
set up a production server, you will probably be best off downloading
the "testing" version, ie what will become the stable version shortly.
In particular, the installation process is vastly improved.

The current "testing" version is called "Sarge", and will probably be
released as Debian 3.1, though I think it deserves to be Debian 4.0.

> Unfortunately the proxy and firewalls here do not allow me to use jigdo

As noted earlier, Jigdo just uses HTTP, so it should work for you.

Regards,

Simon