On downloading Debian ISOs

Hi!

Have been wanting to try out Debian for so long, but never managed to
get my hands on it. Finally I land up at this client site where we have
a good net access, and so am thinking of downloading the ISOs to give
them a shot on my home machine.

Unfortunately the proxy and firewalls here do not allow me to use jigdo
or bit-torrent, and so the only way for me to download the ISOs are by
downloading them directly. Over a day or two I managed to download the
first of the ISO files. After downloading, I figure that maybe I should
have downloaded the non-US version -- frankly, I hadn't noticed that
there's a non-US version too present -- and so am now thinking: is there
any way I can "convert" the US version ISO file into a non-US version?
Maybe using jigdo or something (which I can do from home over my
dial-up). Or I can install with the US version and then fetch the non-US
packages or something?

But that asked, is there anything specifically missing in the US-version
that might be of use to an end-user? Based on briefly going through the
FAQ etc, I understand the non-US version contains stuff (cryptographic
etc) that are not present in the US version ... is there anything more
(critical/ useful)?

Thanks in advance,
Rakhesh

ps. One more question: how come there are SEVEN ISOs for download? Just
to get things up and running (and the with the typical end-user
applications) how many of these do I have to download?