Re: cdrecord problems

Alan Chandler(alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk) is reported to have said:
> I have been having problems with cdrecord.  It hangs after after recognising
> the drive, but before doing anything.
>
> It seems to be impossible to kill the process (even going to root and doing a
> kill -9) of cdrecord.nmap that is left lying around.
>

> The command I used to write it is
>
> cdrecord speed=4 -eject dev=/dev/cdrw sarge-i386-netinst.iso
>
> where /dev/cdrw is a symlink to /dev/hdc (both created by udev).
>
> I have booted up winxp on this machine and successfully written both cdrw and
> cd-r media with it to check its not a hardware problem.
>

> There seems to be a massive discussion around this sort of area on lkml - and
> I am using kernel 2.6.7-k7.  Could this have anything to do with it?
If you were using ide-scsi before you upgraded to 2.6.X, yes.

What does cdrecord -scanbus report?  What device are you using for the
dev=?

Read the docs at
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/post-halloween-2.6.txt:

I am using cdrecord -scanbus dev=(/dev/hdc | ATAPI | ATA) and all
work, now that I removed ide=scsi, oh, don't forget to remove it from
the lilo append line, like I did. :-Q

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
WT
--
Computer programmers do it byte by byte.