cdrecord problems

I have been having problems with cdrecord.  It hangs after after recognising
the drive, but before doing anything.

It seems to be impossible to kill the process (even going to root and doing a
kill -9) of cdrecord.nmap that is left lying around.

The command I used to write it is

cdrecord speed=4 -eject dev=/dev/cdrw sarge-i386-netinst.iso

where /dev/cdrw is a symlink to /dev/hdc (both created by udev).

I have booted up winxp on this machine and successfully written both cdrw and
cd-r media with it to check its not a hardware problem.

There seems to be a massive discussion around this sort of area on lkml - and
I am using kernel 2.6.7-k7.  Could this have anything to do with it?

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk