Re: Configuration DB

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 08:05:53PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:51:23PM +1000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> > It is not enough to simply backup /etc, as some packages automatically
> > generate config files from the debconf info (xfree86 being one).
>
> Any package that overwrites your changes to config files and/or uses
> debconf as a registry is seriously buggy.

Seems like there's still an important question left unanswered.  We've
discussed how to duplicate installed packages.  We've discussed how to
dupliate debconf configuration.  But, as Cameron points out, some
packages need configuration files that are to be generated from the
debconf database.  dexconf does this for XFree86.  In general, how
does one know what utility/utilities to run in order to generate all
the configuration files?  Is the configuration-file-generating-utility
for each package specified in the debconf DB?

Jason