Re: Configuration DB

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
Once upon a time John Hasler said...

Tong writes:

Thanks, John, that's something I am thinking of as the last resort.

Why as a last resort?

Hard disk crash. I've gone through the same pain as the original poster.

It is not enough to simply backup /etc, as some packages automatically
generate config files from the debconf info (xfree86 being one). In
these cases you want the debconf info to be accurate.

Is anyone able to answer the original question? I'd like to know the
answer too.

How can you backup your debconf answers and restore them in such a way
that it replaces re-entering the answers? I'd like something similar to
dpkg --get/set--selections, but for debconf answers.

CHeers

What about files/directories  under /var/cache?
(Just a thought, not tried )