Re: Adding new hardware to existing system

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:43:35AM -0500, David.Grudek@anixter.com wrote:

> be detected.  I used a fedora system and it detected it just fine.  When i
> installed the hard drive I did a fdisk /dev/hdc and it did not work said
> no device  Any help would be appreciated.

That's because everything was wrapped in cotton wool for you, so you
didn't break it. When you add new hardware, often you should know
what it is. The command:

lspci

often helps here if it is PCI. Then all you do is look for the
appropriate kernel module (and assuming you have it) and then load
it:

modprobe <foo>

This may or may not require you to build a new kernel. Most stock
kernels should have the modules already in place that you just need
to load. If it is successful, you can get to load at boot by adding
the name to /etc/modules (or you could use 'modconf').

As to your harddrive, /dev/hdc ... that is either because
scsi-emulation is taking over it, diverting it, or it is on another
IDE channel. Again "dmesg | more" will help you there in
ascertaining that information.

There is also "discover" from the progency people which is an
attempt to detect HW....

-- Thomas Adam
--
"Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask. You are a flatulent pain in
the arse." -- Morrissey.