Re: Adding new hardware to existing system

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:43:35AM -0500, David.Grudek@anixter.com wrote:
> I am new to debian and looking for some help.  I have been practicing with
> debian installs also adding new hardware to existing systems.  I tried
> adding a new nic and a harddrive to a system.  I could not get either to
> work.  When I take the beta 4 sarge install disk and run the install it
> detects both pieces and they work, but if the unit was built with the same
> cd and then add the hardware it does not work.  What steps should be taken
> to add a new piece of hardware like a nic card and or hard drive for it to
> be detected.  I used a fedora system and it detected it just fine.  When i
> installed the hard drive I did a fdisk /dev/hdc and it did not work said
> no device  Any help would be appreciated.

  Let me see if I got it right.
You have a Debian system. You then install the new hardware. Next You
try to take the beta 4 sarge install disk and run the install and it
detects both pieces and they work. But when you boot to your existing
installation both pieces are not recognized. Is that correct?
  Have you checked the boot messages carefully? Are you sure the new HD
is not mentioned there? Which kernel are you using? Is it compiled by
hand or a stocked kernel? Which Debian distribution are you using?
--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I