Re: sound settings Sarge - KDE

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 13:54, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 01:49:22PM -0500, matt zagrabelny wrote:
> > there is a program called alsactl (on my machine it is in /usr/sbin/, so
> > it is not in my PATH, but everyone does have execute privileges ??)
>
> It's run by root for a good reason.

its permissions are
root@zero ~ =) [02:08] # ls -alh /usr/sbin/alsactl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 32K Jul 15 10:53 /usr/sbin/alsactl

so anybody can run it. i havent tested if alsactl checks to make sure
the person running it is in the audio group or anything like that.

but, if you are in the audio group you have full control over things
like the mixer and muting channels, etc.

so what is the good reason that it is run by root?

> > but you could do a "alsactl store" on logout and a "alsactl restore" on
> > login. i am guessing that somewhere there is an automated tool for this
> > though.
>
> Umm, yes, the alsa initscript handles this for you.

he is talking about logging in and out of kde, the alsa init script is
not run then.

-matt