Re: XFree vs. xorg

* Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.com> [2004-08-09 12:20] wrote:

> Brian Nelson wrote:

> |>What ever happened to the idea of a "freeze"?
> |
> | I seem to recall joeyh (d-i leader) saying more or less the same thing
> | quite a bit lately...
>
> ~From what I have gathered, as soon as Sarge finally becomes the new
> stable, they will start the transition towards X.org in Sid. IMHO that
> is the best way to do things, and I am very much looking forward to X.org.
>
> XFree86 has been very good and the effort they have put in over time is
> something I am thankful for, but their project has gone stale and the
> fiasco with the new licence was the final straw for many I think.
> Hopefully X.org will have a better pace of development and allow for
> more people to feed patches back into the source tree.
>
> Even through I am impatient and would like X.org in Debian right now, I
> understand why they are holding off and appreciate their decision.
>
> Just my £0.02...
>
> - --
> Anders

This might be a stupid question, and it might have asked before.

Why in heavens name did Xfree86 change their license? Was it the
previous license too restrictive? Sponsors needed/wanted the ability to
incorporate proprietary code?
Waste of BW probably, but does anybody know?
--
Med Vänlig Hälsning / Best Regards

Nicolaus Kedegren
                 Quies custodiet ipsos custodes?