Re: XFree vs. xorg

Florian Ernst wrote:

Hello!

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 11:12:50AM -0500, Nathan Kroll wrote:
I have recently become aware of the fact that Debian is still using
XFree86 4.3 on all of its releases and seems to have no plans on
converting to xorg.  Is this true? Is there development underway for
make xorg the new default x server?

As seen in DWN at
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-news/debian-news-2004/msg00032.html>:
| Future of Debian X11 Packages. Fabio Massimo Di Nitto, the current
| Debian X11 release manager, [9]inquired about which direction these
| packages should go. Because of a licensing change Debian can no longer
| use [10]XFree86 as upstream. Keith Packard [11]suggested moving away
| from a monolithic source package and switching to [12]X.org as the new
| upstream. Daniel Stone [13]described several of the options.
| | 9. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/06/msg00979.html
|  10. http://www.xfree86.org/
|  11. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/06/msg01006.html
|  12. http://www.x.org/
| 13. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/06/msg01051.html
AFAIK so far nothing has been decided yet as currently the XSF focuses
on the Sarge release...

I'm just wondering because it seems odd to me that debian isn't
jumping on it since everything else (in unstable at least) seems to be
very up-to-date.

To quote Branden Robinson from
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/06/msg00677.html>:
| From my perspective, we're not in a big hurry.  I think changing
| Debian's shipping sample implementation at this point, when we're --
| err -- "about to release" would be a bad idea.

This is true especially since Debian has to support some hardware
architectures which aren't supported upstream at all.

Other vendors switched to X.org at the time of the licence change. Presumably they're supporting newer hardware now than Debian will with Sarge when it's released, and Sarge++ is probably three or four years away.

There's no likelihood of us getting official X releases to supprt new hardware for years if it's not done now. That seems to me an enormous penalty.

Even if something's included but broken, it won't be fixed unless it's a security issue.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait