Re: XFree vs. xorg

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:04:31 +0800
John Summerfield <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au> wrote:
> Brian Nelson wrote:
>>
>> Mark my words, Sarge+1 will not take 3 or 4 years to release.  1 to 1.5
>> years is my estimate.  2 years, tops.
>

> How do you justify that pov? At present, we have more platforms than
> ever before, more packages than every before. What's changed to
> alleviate the log cycle time we've had so far?

Why is the number of packages relevant?  It certainly wasn't for this
release.  After all, there's nothing preventing Debian from issuing
the next release after Sarge *one week* after Sarge goes out, other
than that it wouldn't be different enough to be interesting.  The
number of essential packages is the same; the number of optional
packages has increased, but that doesn't matter, since anything that
can't deal with its release-critical bugs in time doesn't drop down
to stable.  What has made Sarge take so flipping long was the new
installer project.  There isn't anything like that planned for the
next release that I'm aware of.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)