Re: I hate it when that happens...

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:48:20PM -0700, listcomm@ml1.net wrote:
> You should have a "soft remove"...  "rm -rf *" is a joke so old
> I can't believe anyone still gets bitten by it.
>
> the "rm" command should be aliased to a script which moves the
> target file to a "trashcan" directory somewhere which then gets
> checked by a "cron" job which does a permanent remove of any files
> which haven't been accessed in 10 days.  then you implement a
> "mr" command which lists the trashcan directory and allows you to
> retrieve stuff you've fatfingered with the "rm" command.
>
> Somewhere I've got C-shell scripts to do all this (which I'll be
> using if I can ever get Woody up).

Nah, screw all that noise.  Half the fun of executing 'rm' is the fact
that you know you have a loaded revolver on your temple.  Keeps you on
your toes, which I think makes me a smarter user.  Do I have backups?
Is this crisp?  Am I thinking clearly?

I like the deadly rm.  If I screw up, boy, then I sure should have been
thinking more clearly, eh?

Trashcan is too squishy.