Re: I hate it when that happens...

You should have a "soft remove"...  "rm -rf *" is a joke so old
I can't believe anyone still gets bitten by it.

the "rm" command should be aliased to a script which moves the
target file to a "trashcan" directory somewhere which then gets
checked by a "cron" job which does a permanent remove of any files
which haven't been accessed in 10 days.  then you implement a
"mr" command which lists the trashcan directory and allows you to
retrieve stuff you've fatfingered with the "rm" command.

Somewhere I've got C-shell scripts to do all this (which I'll be
using if I can ever get Woody up).

Or, of course, you *could* just bring up Solaris and enable "snapshot",
(which may require RAID), I'm not sure (but it's packaged
with Solaris)