Re: [Rant] The Endless Search for a Mail Client That Doesn't Suck

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:01:52PM +0200, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:
>
> > 6. It must have a decent expiry system.
>
> You don't need a mailclient to have a decent expiry system if you are
> using Maildir.  Since all new mail goes into {MAILBOXNAME}/new and all
> read mail goes into {MAILBOXNAME}/cur, you can use this script to delete
> all read mail over a certain date:

That's not necessarily true.  OfflineIMAP puts all mail in cur.
Generally, I think you may find "unseen" mail in new, but the MUA will
move it to cur as soon as it finds it.  It may very well not be read by
you yet.

> find ~/Mail/*/cur -type f -mtime +30 -print0 | xargs -0r rm

I think the following blob be much more reliable:

find ~/Mail/*/cur -type f -mtime +30 -regex ".*:2,.*S" -print0 | xargs -0r rm

--
You win again, gravity!