urgent help

Subject:     urgent help, Mouse not works after
installing gpm
Date:        Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:47:09 -0400

hi,

Sorry for the previous test posting. I've been trying
to post this very
message several times, for over 3 days, for some
strange reasons, none of my this post has gone through
yet...

I installed gpm -- the console mouse support. After
rebooting, my mouse
doesn't work in X any more (I didn't change anything
in my XF86config-4
file. )

Currently, my mouse setting is the same in gpm and X,
i.e., device is
/dev/psaux, and protocol is ps/2. However, console
mouse works fine
whereas X mouse doesn't work. and there is an extended
delay starting and
switching to X.

In order to fix the problem. I've stopped/uninstalled
gpm before
starting X, and even force reinstall xfree86-common
and xfree86-server
packages. But nothing helped. I've exhausted my
options.

I've been googling around in a none-mouse X, and found
that there *might*
be conflicts between gpm and X mouse.

I've seen posting saying using /dev/gpmdata as device
for mouse to work
under console and X together. But it doesn't apply to
me. I made the
similar change and it didn't work. In fact, right
after I start X, my gpm
mouse is destroyed -- no work any more under console.

Please help. I can barely do anything under X without
a mouse.

Any tip will do. Just to get me back to a working
system. I've been
unistalling gpm/restalling it, and force reisntall
xfree86-common and
xserver-xfree86  many times.

I'm quite new to Debian. I badly need help.

PS.

Why

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

don't give me a XF86Config-4 file?