Re: XFree vs. xorg

Hello!

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 11:12:50AM -0500, Nathan Kroll wrote:
> I have recently become aware of the fact that Debian is still using
> XFree86 4.3 on all of its releases and seems to have no plans on
> converting to xorg.  Is this true? Is there development underway for
> make xorg the new default x server?

As seen in DWN at
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-news/debian-news-2004/msg00032.html>:
| Future of Debian X11 Packages. Fabio Massimo Di Nitto, the current
| Debian X11 release manager, [9]inquired about which direction these
| packages should go. Because of a licensing change Debian can no longer
| use [10]XFree86 as upstream. Keith Packard [11]suggested moving away
| from a monolithic source package and switching to [12]X.org as the new
| upstream. Daniel Stone [13]described several of the options.
|
|  9. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/06/msg00979.html
|  10. http://www.xfree86.org/
|  11. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/06/msg01006.html
|  12. http://www.x.org/
|  13. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/06/msg01051.html

AFAIK so far nothing has been decided yet as currently the XSF focuses
on the Sarge release...

> I'm just wondering because it seems odd to me that debian isn't
> jumping on it since everything else (in unstable at least) seems to be
> very up-to-date.

To quote Branden Robinson from
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/06/msg00677.html>:
| From my perspective, we're not in a big hurry.  I think changing
| Debian's shipping sample implementation at this point, when we're --
| err -- "about to release" would be a bad idea.

This is true especially since Debian has to support some hardware
architectures which aren't supported upstream at all.

> Just looking for any info on possible debian adaption or if anyone
> know what is so much better about xorg over 4.3 (besides the license
> stuff).

Perhaps best read the (long) thread starting at
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/06/msg00411.html> for some
aspects.

HTH,
Flo