Re: script/app to compile statistics about disk usage?

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 04:37:32PM -0400, Silvan wrote:
> On Friday 30 July 2004 02:52 am, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > These days, disk is cheap in com[arison with time, and you need to keep
> > this in mind. It might be better to replace the drive, put the old one
> > in a USB enclosure so you can get your important bits back. However,
> > some will choose to spend (their own) time to manage their space.
>
> Drives are cheap, but I have other things I'd rather spend money on at the
> moment.  Plus there's no excuse for me to be using this much space.  How can
> I possibly be using

> /dev/hda8              23G   19G  2.9G  87% /home
>
> for example.  19 GB of what?  I don't see it, but it's there somewhere.
> Probably 27,000 files named "foo" or "1" or something.  :)
>
> I'm also starting to fill up /var, even though all the places I know to look
> are pretty reasonable (and I did purge the package cache, yes) so I guess
> it's time to get off my duff and figure out what's eating what and turn it
> down or turn it off.

I just noticed this. Clearly late in offering help, but

Are you familiar with the --max-depth=N option in du? Look in man du.
This allows you to quickly get total disk usage below a few top level
nodes in the directory tree. And then drill down, if you find a wierd
cluster. You should be able to locate the extra junk (if that is what
it is) . If junk is evenly distributed throughout the tree it won't
help much

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net