Re: How does exim4 format bounce messages

On Friday 30 July 2004 07:48, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I am running a "Sarge" based Exim4 mail server for the domain
> chandlerfamily.org.uk. ...
> I have two problems
>
> 1) I have hundreds of messages sat on my queue.  They are being sent to
> portmaster@myisp with a sender address of @chandlerfamily.org.uk (ie no
> local part)

I fixed this by removing the return_path directive from the remote transport

> 2) Fetchmail is seemingly trying to download messages from my isp - but
> gives up after about 8 messages with a line in the log saying protocol
> error.  The messages (even the first 7) are being left in my pop3 mailbox
> at the isp and there are now over 1000 messages there.

This turned out to be an issue with the POP3 Server of my ISP (I think is
Microsoft Exchange).  The failing message had a single "." on a line in the
middle and was not being escaped.  Fetchmail thought it had an end of message
and then failed to get into a proper protocol dialog because the server was
still sending the end of the message.  Issuing the QUIT command and closing
the connection meant that the POP3 server did not implement any of the DELETE
commands it had received.  Next poll by fetchmail the whole thing repeated.

Slowly the messages built up.

I eventually cleared it manually by using telnet.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk