RE: Requesting advice on s/w RAID-1 install

hi ya jason

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Jason Bleazard wrote:

> > but if oyu use 200GB raid disks... you will NOT be able to boot from
> > it .. bios just too old
>
> I hadn't thought about that.
>
> So, what if I decide to go out and get a shiny new motherboard.  Unless
> things have changed since the last time I bought a motherboard, most of them
> have two IDE channels on board.  I know to build a RAID on IDE, I'll want
> the disks each as master on their own channel.  Any problem with putting the
> CD burner as slave to one of the RAID drives?  How about the idea of
> installing first to the old 8G drive, then building the RAID?  In my
> example, I was planning on getting a Promise controller, which would have
> given me a total of 4 IDE channels.  2 seems a bit limited.
>
> Or would I still need to add the Promise controller?

i like those cheap $20 promise controllers to keep the 1 disk per ide
cable rule

some folks say you can use the onboard raid ide connectors as regular
ide ... in which case you'd stick on your cdrom and dvd on those

> Where do you get free motherboards?  Hopefully you aren't picking up on my
> comment about my current system being free and thinking I have a source for
> free parts.  I meant practically free, as the money was spent years ago and
> the board is sitting here waiting to be used.

if you buying 2x 200GB disks ... adding another $50 for another
motherboard is a small incremental cost for the latest/greatest mb
features

http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-raid

> Okay, it's taking me a few minutes to get my head wrapped around that
> concept, but I think I'm catching up.

if the raid is configured correctly... it should boot without touching
anything and all data automatically resync'd all by itself

if you have to touch it and fiddle with it .. raid is NOT configured
properly

c ya
alvin