RE: Requesting advice on s/w RAID-1 install

> From: Steven Jones [mailto:Steven.Jones@vuw.ac.nz]
>
> If you lose the first disk the machine's bios wont pick the second disk,
> so the machine will not be bootable anyway.

That's why I said "re-plug the cable" in the original post :-).  It is
certainly something to keep in mind, that's why I want to make sure I have
it set up properly so I can fall back to one disk in case the other one
dies.

> It will probably stay up provided the disks are on sepearate
> channels, if they are on the same one there is a good chance when
> one disk dies it will lock out the ide channel it is on and hence
> take out the second disk.

They won't be on the same channel.  Reference IDE Configuration here
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-4.html

Thanks,
Jason