Re: Encrypted wireless

Jason Rennie wrote:

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:18:59AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

I have a wireless DSL router set up at home.  I currently don't use
encryption, so it's essentially a free-for-all and I've noticed some
freeloaders and the router doesn't provide any way to restrict access
other than by setting up encryption (side question: anyone know of a
wireless router that can restrict access by MAC address?).
Hmm I thought they all did!

What brand and model?

SMC 7004VWBR

I've searched the config menus over-and-over again...  I was surprised
too!  Another annoying thing: it doesn't allow you to establish
constant MAC->IP mappings.  I'm tempted to go buy a different one...

What models have you used?

At work we use Airports (with Macs). At home, first I want a working 11g PIC card. I bought an SMC2802W (which works) except that I got version2 (doesn't work).

I'd probably buy a Linksys wrt54g. It runs Linux, you can get the source from the Linksys website.

Not that mac addresses stop anyone but casual freeloaders.

That's all I really care about.  Sounds like even encryption wouldn't
keep out a knowledgable person who really wanted to hack my
(relatively pitiful) network.  And if I can stop casual freeloaders, I
can at least identify the malicious freeloaders :)

Encryption _can_ work but you've got to change the keys often.

Take a look at pebble.

I figure this will work:

<Wireless World> -- <AP>===<Linux box>====<Wired World>
                                     =====>Internet

Members of Wireless World talk only to <Linux box> over a VPN.

<Linux Box> accepts _only_ VPN traffic from <Wireless World>

For VPN I use openvpn.

Note that <AP> and <Linux box> can be the same box. You need a supported AP-capable wireless card.

Take a look at Pebble.

--

Cheers
John